Monday, March 1, 2010

*Who’s the Band* - Interview with Brad Reason

Who’s the Band – Brad Reason
Posted by Karen in Who's The Band of http://blazingminds.co.uk

Ever popular than ever I’m proud to bring another in my series of “Who’s the Band” and this week I bring you an interview with Brad Reason, so I’m going to stop rambling on and get on with the interview..

Q: So how did you come upon the name of your band? Is it the first name you chose?
A:
I stuck with my name, Brad Reason. Then there was a time where I was doing a lot more DJ work, so I decided to pick a DJ name, and I went with DJ Doubledown. I loved the movie “Swingers” so I went with Doubledown. When I entered Second Life to begin my virtual world performance career, I used the first name Doubledown, and then at registration, I was given the option of several last names. I picked Tandino. So, my name became Doubledown Tandino in the virtual world, Second Life. In the real world, I stick with Brad Reason.


Q: Tell us a little about yourself?
A:
I’m Brad Reason, solo-artist. I am a digital electronic music composer, producer, editor and remixer. I have collaborated with many other musicians, singers, and music artists over the years as well.

BradReason 300x300 Whos the Band   Brad ReasonQ: So what genre of music would you say you are in and who are your major influences?
A:
I create all forms of instrumental and electronica music which includes house, breakbeat, drum-n-bass, trip-hop, chillout, nujazz, avant-garde, and experimental.
My influences stem from The Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Air, Talvin Singh, Medeski Martin & Wood, jazz legends such as Miles Davis and Coltrane, and funk legends such as Commodores, Ohio Players, and James Brown

Q: How long have you been performing/producing music? What inspired to to produce your style of music?
A:
I began creating music on computer in 1996 with now ancient spread-sheet based sampling software . By 1997 I was creating music and sharing with with like minded communities on the internet.

Q: Are you signed to a record label (Indie or major)?
A:
I am not signed by any record label, but I have had some of my individual tracks signed and released through a label or distribution company.

Q: Have your ever performed live? If so where and to how many?
A:
I’ve performed live non-stop since I started. A lot of the shows I do are also DJ based, so I mix DJing with original music and remixing. From 2000-2006 I was DJing on the East Coast of USA, primarily in Baltimore, Maryland. From 2006 to current, I perform live online to people across the world through virtual worlds such as Second Life.

Q: Who writes/produces the music and/or lyrics to your tracks?
A:
I create and compose everything I make.
DoubledowninMusicStudio 300x174 Whos the Band   Brad Reason

Q: How would you describe your music-making process?
A:
I have no process. I simply either get in the mood to create some music, or I have some sounds or beats in my head and I want to lay them out and record.

Q: What has been your biggest challenge as an artist? Have you been able to overcome that challenge? If so, how?
A:
I wouldn’t say I have had many challenges. If anything, I would say that it is sometimes tough to stick within one mainstream style. Usually I like to push the boundaries of music, and make what isn’t the normal standard. I like to create what I want to hear, which may not be considered a mainstream hit. Sometimes, it is tough to garner a large fan base because each of my music pieces is so varied in style and genre.

Q: What’s your ultimate direction for your band? Are you seeking fame and fortune?
A:
Not at all. I have no interest in fame and fortune. I simply want people to listen, appreciate, and respect my music as art.

Q: What advice do you have for people who want to form their own bands?
A:
Stop waiting around and thinking about it. Just start!

Q: How can fans-to-be gain access to your music? Do you have a website with sample songs or a demo CD?
A:
http://reverbnation.com/BradReason for over 90 of my original tracks. Currently I am running a contest. I am giving away my not-yet-released new 2010 album for free. The top 5 people that listen to the most songs on my page between now and March 15th will receive the digital copy of my new album.

Q: Is there anyone you’d like to acknowledge for offering financial or emotional support?
A:
I would like to thank all of the Second Life music performers, supporters, and fans. The live music community in Second Life is thriving, and without their constant daily support, I would not have been able to maintain performing live in SL for so long. Also the inspiration for the tunes on my new album came entirely from my experiences in Second Life.

Q: Any last words?
A:
thank you
Brad Reason
aka Doubledown Tandino
http://reverbnation.com/BradReason
also, other music of mine is at http://thesixtyone.com/Doubledown
my blog: http://djdoubledown.blogspot.com
recently, a piece about me performing in Second Life aired on CNN

No comments: