Saturday, November 21, 2009

The 30 Greatest Drum Breaks and Samples of All Time

Many of you expressed interest and intrigue when I posted the Video explains the world's most important 6-sec drum loop (the Amen Break).

Doubledown's Sidenote: I also am of the opinion that James Brown's song "Funky Drummer" also contains the most important drum break of all time.

Lets continue:  The 30 Greatest Drum Breaks and Samples of All Time (with audio)
(This site CrateKings.com deserves full credit for not only coming up with this excellent list, but also for supplying the audio embedded samples)

  1. Melvin Bliss – Synthetic Subsitution
  2. The Honeydrippers – Impeach The President
  3. Skull Snaps – It’s A New Day
  4. Little Feet  - Fool Yourself
  5. Billy Squire – Big Beat
  6. Al Green – I’m Glad You’re Mine
  7. The Soul Searchers – Ashley’s Roachclip
  8. Power of Zeus – Sorcerer of Isis
  9. Kool & The Gang – NT
  10. Isley Brothers – Footsteps In The Dark
  11. Q65 – Get Out My Life Woman
  12. Jeff Beck – Come Dancing
  13. Mountain – Long Red (Live)
  14. Manzel – Midnight Theme 
  15. The Meters – Here Come The Metermen
  16. The Headhunters – God Made Me Funky
  17. Dexter Wansel – Theme From The Planets
  18. Young Holt Unlimited – Wah Wah Man
  19. Roy Ayers – The Boogie Back
  20. James Brown – Funky President
  21. Orange Crush – Action
  22. Joe Tex – Papa Was Too
  23. Funk Inc. – Kool Is Back
  24. Silhouettes – Fonky First
  25. Bad Bascomb – Black Grass
  26. Kool & The Gang – Jungle Jazz
  27. The Turtles – I’m Chief Kamanawanalea
  28. Donny Hathaway – Magnificent Sanctuary Band
  29. Little Richard – The Rill Thing
  30. Funkadelic – Good Old Music

Doubledown Note:  I have my own list of the most important breaks of all time.  Just about all of Crateking's list would also appear on my list, and I have a few other gems I think are important as well.

I have DJed a show only once: "The Best Breaks of All Time - The Original Tunes" where I played the full versions of the songs where these classic breaks came from.  My show took place at Coffee and Pajamas at Sunset Jazz Club in Second Life. I would love to perform my selections and this DJ show again sometime.  I wonder who is interested in having me perform this show?

    No comments: