|The Daily Show With Jon Stewart||M - Th 11p / 10c|
With Twitter skyrocketing in popularity these days, so much so that Google wants to buy it (UPDATE: It's BS, Google isn't buying Twitter) , Facebook taking in Myspace's users in droves, plus, mass confusion on whether Second Life is brimming with possibility & enterprise or falling into obscurity, AND EVEN the general state of the real world economy causing masses to play on the internet, I thought I would give my roundup as to what web 2.0 and social networking services I am currently using (and which ones I decided to stop using).
There are many bloggers and posters out there that have already concocted their best of lists and why they choose each service. There are going to be many more to come, including web 2.0 flowcharts, posts about blogging, blogs about posting, digging to tweeting to facebook.. oh my! All of which can get confusing. This is simply my personal favorites list currently.
Sidenote: I have completely left out any consideration regarding mobile technology. Simply put, I don't have and use a mobile device so I have yet to test.
Updated April 7th, 2009
- Second Life (avatar name: Doubledown Tandino)
- Metaplace (up-and-coming potential VW prospect. I have not had time to investigate, but this would be my next choice as a VW to check out.)
- OpenGrids currently being developed.
- There are many many virtual worlds and MMORPGs. The user will have to decide which ones are best for them.
- Facebook.com | (My Profile: Brad Reason: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=580038856)
Receives from Ping, Digg, Friendfeed, Plurk, Twitter, and more.
Sends to account applications installed
News & Web Finds:
- Digg.com | (http://digg.com/users/BradReason)
Receives from all websites
Sends to Facebook, Friendfeed, Twitter, Blogger, and more.
- Technorati.com | (http://www.technorati.com/people/technorati/DoubledownTandino)
Receives Blogs, Websites, and RSS
Sends through ShareThis
Receives from all websites
Sends to Facebook, Search Engines, and more.
(the only yahoo! service I like and use.)
Status Updating / Aggregation of Posted Info / Social Network Organizer*:
Pings out blog posts and status updates to multiple web 2.0 sites at once
- Twitter.com | (http://twitter.com/Doubledown_InSL)
Receives from most all blogs, status update services, Digg, and other news/webfinds sites
Sends to many services based on personal setup
- Plurk.com | (http://www.plurk.com/DoubledownTandino)
Receives from Ping.fm
Sends to Facebook, FriendFeed, Multiply, Friendster, and Twitter
- ShareThis.com and AddThis.com
Sends to ALL
- *FriendFeed.com | (http://friendfeed.com/doubledowntandino)
Receives from 57 services
Sends to Twitter and Facebook
- *Netvibes.com | (http://www.netvibes.com/doubledowntandino)
I have not had time to check out Netvibes yet, it is on the top of my list
- *Mybloglog.com | (http://www.mybloglog.com/buzz/members/Doubledown/)
(I do not like mybloglog, however it is good to set up a site for yourself in case others to wander on to it.)
Professional, Business, Entrepreneur:
- LinkedIn.com | (http://www.linkedin.com/in/bradreason)
Receives from any RSS feed (blog or status)
Sends to ???
Blogger.com | ( http://www.blogger.com/profile/14826783551439281499)
Receives from Ping.fm + any blog post method that is set up.
Sends to ALL except Plurk
Your own Social Network Site:
Ilike.com | (http://ilike.com/user/BradReason)
Sends and Receives through Facebook
Reverbnation.com | (http://www.reverbnation.com/bradreason)
Sends and Receives through Facebook and Twitter
Thesixtyone.com | (http://thesixtyone.com/Doubledown)
Blip.fm | (http://blip.fm/Doubledown)
Sends to Twitter
Photo or Video Related:
Koinup.com | (http://www.koinup.com/DoubledownTandino)
Sends to Flickr
Youtube.com | (http://youtube.com/user/doubledowntandino)
Sends to Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Plurk, and more
Here are the ones that I have not been using recently although I previously did:
- Google Reader: (http://www.google.com/reader/shared/10869641010676548376)
Here are some of the ones that I have never tried and have value:
- Wordpress.com (I believe wordpress to be the best blogging site, better than blogger... however, I am using blogger.)
What are your thoughts about my April 2009 list?
Are there any web 2.0 social networking sites I left out that I should have a look at?
Please let me know if there is anything that should be corrected or added.